The Green Technology program offers students the opportunity to work with professionals in the renewable energy sector. China has recently invested a reported $51.1 billion in the industry since 2010 and continues to show support in green energy and sustainability efforts. Internship placements could be in: Shanghai, Beijing, & Shenzhen.
Each internship offers the chance to:
- Create reports on current international renewable energy technologies and the energy efficiency market.
- Analyze overseas policy trends pertaining to energy efficiency.
- Research and present reports of suggestions for energy efficiency improvements for Chinese urban development- building, planning etc.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work on a team.
- Interest in China- policy, planning, etc.
- Strong management and organizational skills.
- Interest in Green infrastructure and sustainable development.
Students must intern for a minimum of 30 hours per week, for a total of at least 240 hours for an 8-week internship. This will earn 8 internship credits.
In addition to 8 internship credits, students will enroll in a 1-4 credit Intercultural Communication online course. This course is designed to provide ongoing support to students who do internships abroad. Students will observe, explore and investigate the core cultural values in their host country during the internship, conduct comparison in the differences between their host and home country, and develop critical thinking skills and culture learning strategies. Some of the topics discussed in this course include: attitudes toward time, space, age, gender and authority, different views on self/others, conflict styles and culture shock.
A weekly assignment for the online course includes: reading assignments, group discussions and/or a weekly journal. The number of enrolled credits will determine the course workload. It will begin one week before your internship begins and end one week after completion.
Dates and Deadlines
|Term||Year||Deadline||Arrival Date||Departure Date|
If your program has a Priority Deadline, complete all pre-decision application materials by this date to receive a $100 credit toward your program fee. Please note, students participating in multiple summer programs are only eligible to receive the $100 credit once.
Note: this $100 discount does not apply to priority deadlines for SIT programs.
Actual credit awarded is determined by the relevant department at your university in consultation with the study abroad office. Check with your study abroad advisor for more information.
UO students, please refer to the UO Course Equivalency Process and the UO Office of the Registrar Course Equivalency Database.