The Intensive Chinese Language program offers you an opportunity to improve your fluency in spoken and written Mandarin Chinese through intensive language training. You may also elect to take one course in English to supplement your understanding of China. Electives in English are offered in the areas of international relations and history.
All students take Readings in Chinese, Spoken Chinese, the Language and Culture Practicum, and one to three other courses, depending on the level of the individual student’s Readings in Chinese course. You will be placed at your level based on a language placement exam taken during orientation.
For further information about the program, including dates and course information, please visit: CIEE: Intensive Chinese Language
- One college-level Chinese area studies course is recommended
- Students with more than five years of college-level Mandarin Chinese and students with near-native fluency may not be appropriate for this program and should consider the CIEE Advanced Chinese Studies program.
- Peking University will not accept students who are citizens of the People's Republic of China (PRC), Taiwan, ROC, Hong Kong SAR, or Macau. This includes those who are U.S. permanent residents. Students must provide a copy of a non-Taiwan/non-Chinese passport.
Actual credit awarded is determined by the relevant department at your university in consultation with the study abroad office. Check with your study abroad advisor for more information.
UO students, please refer to the UO Course Equivalency Process and the UO Office of the Registrar Course Equivalency Database.
If you are interested in applying to a CIEE program, we strongly advise you to meet with an advisor prior to applying.
Selection for the program is based on a review of the your written application, recommendation, transcript(s), and completion of the interview process. Qualified applicants are recommended by a GEO Study Abroad Program Advisor. The final selection of participants is made by CIEE.
IMPORTANT: Application for a CIEE program involves two parts:
- Completion of the GEO application process.
- Completion of the CIEE application process.
Please note that the GEO deadline supersedes the CIEE deadline. An application fee is due at the time of application and is non-refundable under any circumstances.
Dates and Deadlines
To confirm the exact program dates, please consult CIEE.
|Term||Year||Deadline||Arrival Date||Departure Date |
|Fall Semester||2020||3/1/2020||Late August||Mid-December |
|Academic Year||2020-21||3/1/2020||Late August||Early June |
|Spring Semester||2021||10/1/2020||Mid-February||Early June |