Students participating in a GEO program are covered under the Accident & Sickness Insurance Plan by Axis Accident and Health. Know that this insurance is considered secondary insurance, and that GEO recommends that you keep your primary health insurance in the U.S. while you study abroad. The full details of the insurance coverage will be uploaded to your online GEO application. The duration of your coverage is seven days before your program starts through seven days after your program ends. Your local program staff or the travel assistance contact on your insurance card can assist you in procuring medical attention and will help you with the claim process. If there are questions, please do not hesitate to contact GEO.
In the event that you need to seek medical attention:
- You will likely need to pay up front for all necessary procedures;
- Be sure to keep all receipts for medical care abroad;
- In order to be reimbursed, you will likely need to submit a claim (which consists of a claims form plus itemized medical bills, translated and converted into U.S. Dollars) to the insurance company;
- The completed and signed claim form should be mailed within 90 days from the date of injury or from the date of the first medical treatment, or as soon as reasonably possible;
- You may consult with the insurance company before the program start date to find out whether certain medical care or support can be arranged in advance;
- If you have any questions about the steps involved in opening a claim with the insurance company, you can contact on-site staff and/or GEO staff;
- The details of the insurance plan—including exclusions, coverages, and contact information for the insurance company—will be provided in your GEO online application. Please note that extreme sport activities (such as skiing and rock climbing) are generally not covered in the policy.
If you are participating in a third-party program, such as CIEE, SIT, IE3 Global, or DIS, you will receive insurance coverage from the third-party program and not from GEO. Please consult your specific third-party provider for additional information and details regarding your insurance coverage during your program.