Just getting started?Image
- Explore the Student Guide to help you prepare for a successful study abroad experience
- Share your interests so we can connect you with the right GEO team member (for UO and non-UO students)
- Connect with a program coordinator during office hours (5-15 minute conversations), great for quick questions
Have a program in mind?
- Connect with the advisor for programs you're interested in by finding them on the program's page.
- Click on advisors' profile to schedule appointments outside of drop-in hours and for contact information.
Winter Term Drop-In Advising
10:30-11:30 a.m. (out of office on 2/7)
2-3 p.m. (out of office of 2/8)
*Zoom, **In-Person, ***Both
Winter Term Drop-In Peer Advising
Meet with a student in-person or virtually for a short conversation about first steps to studying abroad.
Pre-Advising Questions to Ask Yourself
As you start thinking about studying abroad (your goals, the type of experience you want to have, the programs you might be interested in, the planning process), you may want to consider asking yourself the following questions:
- What do you want to come away with from this experience? What are your top priorities when it comes to studying abroad? Is it satisfying specific major/graduation requirements? Is it the practical or cultural experience? Perhaps personal growth? Connections to faculty members? Maybe all of the above?
- How comfortable do you feel traveling and/or living abroad? Are you looking for a program/experience that will be more structured with on-site support? Or are you looking for a more independent experience?
- Do you have dependents or other special needs that will need accommodation while abroad?
- How long do you want to be away?
- Do you want to live in a dorm? With a host family? In an apartment?
- How important is cost to you? Do you have a personal budget or cost-range in mind?
- What scholarships and financial resources do you currently have to attend university? What others are you able/willing to apply for to fund this experience?
- When is the best time for you to go? Have you talked with your major advisor about graduation requirements and perhaps figured out when a study abroad program would fit in nicely with your graduation schedule?