All GEO advising has been moved to remote platforms (phone, video, chat, email). GEO Advisors are available for advising:
- Email your advisor directly to set up an appointment or get your questions answered.
- Call our front desk at 541-346-3207 to arrange a remote session (via phone, Zoom, or Skype).
- Email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If this is an after hours emergency, please call 503-764-4146.
Not sure who your GEO Advisor is? Visit geo.uoregon.edu/programs and find your program page with the featured advisor.
We look forward to answering your questions and supporting you in your study abroad journey.
We are here to help you with every step!
For general and initial advising questions, we offer Advising Monday-Friday, 1:30-3:30 p.m. during the school year at our office, 300W Oregon Hall (3rd floor).
To schedule a 1:1 appointment with a specific GEO Advisor, you can call our office at (541) 346 3207. Appointments are in person or via phone.
Pre-Advising Questions to Ask Yourself
As you start thinking about studying abroad (your goals, the type of experience you want to have, the programs you might be interested in, the planning process), you may want to consider asking yourself the following questions:
- What do you want to come away with from this experience? What are your top priorities when it comes to studying abroad? Is it satisfying specific major/graduation requirements? Is it the practical or cultural experience? Perhaps personal growth? Connections to faculty members? Maybe all of the above?
- How comfortable do you feel traveling and/or living abroad? Are you looking for a program/experience that will be more structured with on-site support? Or are you looking for a more independent experience?
- Do you have dependents or other special needs that will need accommodation while abroad?
- How long do you want to be away?
- Do you want to live in a dorm? With a host family? In an apartment?
- How important is cost to you? Do you have a personal budget or cost-range in mind?
- What scholarships and financial resources do you currently have to attend university? What others are you able/willing to apply for to fund this experience?
- When is the best time for you to go? Have you talked with your major advisor about graduation requirements and perhaps figured out when a study abroad program would fit in nicely with your graduation schedule?