Voting and Paying Taxes

Absentee Voter Registration
Even though you are abroad, you should know that you remain eligible to vote in local and national elections. If you wish to vote during the time in which you will be abroad, request that a ballot be sent to you at your overseas location before you leave for your program. Review the Federal Voting Assistance Program website to learn how to request an absentee ballot. If you can, also go to the following website to register to vote:

You can find additional information from the U.S. Department of State.

Be aware that you may need to file your tax return when you are traveling abroad. Be prepared to have access to any necessary documents needed to submit your tax forms before departing for your program. If you plan to be out of the country when it is time to file your U.S. tax return, you can always file at an American embassy or online.