REGISTRATION AND CREDITS
As a UO student, when you participate in a GEO or GEO-sponsored study abroad program, you will receive University of Oregon residency credit. The UO Office of the Registrar will register you for your study abroad/ internship credits, thus you do not need to register yourself on DuckWeb.
UO COURSE EQUIVALENCY PROCESS
Step 1: Find the list of classes offered on your study abroad program. This is available on the GEO, program provider, or host university website. For internships, contact our internship advisor.
Step 2: Check if the classes have already been approved. All previously approved study abroad courses appear in an online database from the UO Office of the Registrar: Course Equivalency Database. Your course title and number must match exactly what is listed in the database for it to qualify as an equivalency.
Step 3a: If a class is already on the approved list: For each course, you will see how it applies to UO degrees in terms of course level, general-education requirements, and major/minor requirements. If you would like to request to apply credits towards major/minor requirements other than what is listed, speak with your departmental advisor. All study abroad programs of ten weeks or more satisfy the IC: International Cultures multicultural requirement.
Step 3b: If a class is not on the pre-approved list: Email the class syllabus as soon as you have it to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “UO Study Abroad Course Approval request.” Some program syllabi can be obtained prior to the program’s start date, whereas others will not be available to you until you arrive onsite.
Step 4: Speak with your academic advisor. Make sure you find out how your study abroad credits will apply to your degree requirements and graduation plan.
As a UO student, if you wish to use your UO financial aid to help pay for a study abroad program, here are some of the steps you will need to follow:
- Apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible after January 1, and to ensure consideration for priority funding before February 15.
- Your financial aid eligibility will be initially calculated according to the standard campus budget. Respond to all document requests to the Office of Student Financial Aid & Scholarships and accept your initial aid offer through your DuckWeb account as soon as possible. After you have been accepted into your study abroad program your budget and accepted aid will be revised. You will be notified of these changes. If you have any questions concerning additional aid availability please consult with a financial aid counselor. Loans (Stafford, PLUS and alternative) are generally the only type of aid that can be increased.
- Summer Applicants: Loans are generally the only type of aid available for summer study and you must complete an additional summer financial aid application online. Summer financial aid applications are usually available beginning April 1 and should be submitted to the Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships by the early May date.
- You are strongly encouraged to sign up for Direct Deposit using your DuckWeb account so that if you receive a refund it will be deposited in your checking or savings account.
- You must make sure that your UO general account is clear of any debts (library fines, health service fees, etc.) before you leave. Failure to clear your account may prevent you from being registered.
- If you are planning to utilize financial aid, please note that federal regulations prohibit the release of financial aid before the beginning of the term(s) at the University of Oregon. Participants will therefore have to find alternative sources of funding to pay for airline tickets and other arrival expenses. Contact your GEO Study Abroad Advisor regarding deferring program fees until financial aid is available.
- To ensure that you receive expected funds by direct deposit and have payments applied, please review and complete the information on this page, Financial Aid Refunds and Title IV Authorization.
- If you have any questions about the type or amount of your financial aid, contact a financial aid counselor in the UO Office of Student Financial Aid & Scholarships.
Financial Aid & Scholarships Contact Information:
Office of Student Financial Aid & Scholarships
Room 260 Oregon Hall
541-346-3221 or 800-760-6953