Live and study in the Principality of Asturias located along the Iberian Peninsula’s Costa Verde. Experience this “natural paradise” in the mountains, rivers, lakes, and beaches surrounding this lush green city. Explore the pedestrian streets and plazas near the historic Cathedral de San Salvador; explore the Calle Gascona and drink traditional sidra; visit the Pre-Romanesque monuments of nearby Mt. Naranco. Discover the city that has been described as: “a delicious, exotic, and beautiful city, as if it belonged to another world, something similar to a fairy tale.” With its cosmopolitan air and lively nightlife thriving alongside the traditions of the city’s Celtic roots, Oviedo is your doorway to Northern Spain past and present. Surrounded by stunning countryside, Oviedo’s monumental Old Quarter, its Gothic cathedral of San Salvador and 400-year old University are the perfect setting to experience Spanish language, society, and culture.
#NoPassportNeeded Elements From Oviedo
Travel constraints no longer pose barriers! Choose a language partner, virtual homestay family, or language tutoring (or all three) that matches your interest and path of study! Meet up with people who work with GEO Centers around the world while building skills and confidence in language acquisition.
Travel-Based Programs in Oviedo
Start planning your experience abroad! The GEO Oviedo Center offers programs on topics such as:
- Intensive or semi-intensive Spanish language at all levels
- Spanish for special topics, i.e. healthcare professions and business
- Spanish history, culture, and society
- Spanish film and literature
Students usually live with experienced host families, and one student per family is the norm. All host families offer a private room for their students, as well as shared laundry facilities, meals, and Wi-Fi. Accommodation through the residence halls at the University of Oviedo is also available in the summer. The residence halls feature single rooms with en-suite bathrooms, as well as a student cafeteria where meal plans can be purchased individually by students or arranged for groups. Faculty can be housed with a host family or in a local apartment on request.
- In Oviedo, the city’s Gothic Cathedral and its Holy Chamber; Oviedo Opera; Oviedo Festival of Lyric Theater; companies specializing in sustainable construction or urbanism; farms, markets, and facilities focused on the “slow food” lifestyle movement and farm-to-table food production; various local festivals and events featuring Asturian culture, dance, and music.
- One day-excursions: Aviles, Gijon, Shrine of Lady of Covadonga, pre-Romanesque monuments (distinguished as UNESCO World Heritage sites), Basilica of St. James in Santiago; Neanderthal caves and cave paintings, such as the Tito Bustillo caves and others (designated as UNESCO World Heritage sites); Roman ruins, including battle sites, roads, mines and a Roman villa of Veranes near Gijon.
- Weekend excursions are available to sites throughout Spain, including Madrid, Galicia, Sevilla, Malaga, Barcelona, Santander, Salamanca, and the Camino de Santiago.
- Learn more about GEO excursions in Oviedo.
Oviedo offers a wide variety of service-learning and volunteer opportunities from which to choose. Faculty on short-term programs can opt to have students visit several organizations to get an overview of the work they do and their processes. For long-term programs, a single service-learning placement for each student allows on-going, in-depth volunteer opportunities regularly over several weeks. Long-term placements are not available for programs less than a month in length. Opportunities are available in fields such as health, education, tourism, horse therapy, community services, development, and more.
- One classroom with capacity for 20 students
- Reference library with 500+ books for class topics and travel, as well as 200+ Spanish films
- Workspace for visiting faculty: Wi-fi, shared computers and printer/fax/copier/scanner
- Classroom equipment: whiteboard, DVD player, projector with DVD and laptop connectors, and a portable CD/cassette player
- Student computer access: Two desktops. Wi-fi is available
- Close access to the University of Oviedo, which also offers classroom rental and facilities
Curriculum Vitae for all staff and faculty are available upon request.
Silvia Pérez Sevilla
Silvia is GEO’s Oviedo Center site director. Born and raised in Oviedo, Silvia also attended and graduated from the University of Oviedo with a degree in English Philology. She was an exchange student in the United Kingdom and has been working for GEO since 2006.