GEO offers scholarship opportunities to students from partner universities who are planning to study abroad in GEO programs. There are scholarships based on financial need and academic merit.
GEO Ambassador Scholarship
The GEO Ambassador Scholarship is a scholarship available to partner students applying to GEO faculty-led programs and GEO Center programs. This scholarship is available throughout the year and has multiple application cycles. Individual awards are each $1,000.
Scholarship Recipient Expectations:
In the academic year following your return from abroad, all scholarship recipients will be expected to act as “Ambassadors” for GEO, sharing your experiences with others on your home campus, in your community, and beyond.
As a recipient of the GEO Ambassador Scholarship, you will participate in a few post-program activities that are of particular interest to you. In some cases, it will be important that you document your experiences while still abroad. For additional details on how to choose and schedule these, start the GEO Partner Scholarships application.
Post-Program Activities May Include:
- Staffing assistance at campus study abroad fair
- A special project in collaboration with your campus study abroad office
- Classroom presentations
- Participate in pre-departure orientations or info-sessions for your program
- Creating a poster for a campus fair
- Upload captioned photos (minimum: 10 images, 1 MB or larger) of your experience via Dropbox
- Post a student profile and story on www.diversityabroad.com
- Publish an article about your program experience for a campus e-newsletter or newspaper
- Participate in a student panel about study abroad
- A multimedia project such as:
- Creating and sharing a link to a blog of your experience
- Creating and sharing a dedicated Instagram account per GEO guidelines
- Creating a short video testimonial or digital story for sharing on GEO’s Youtube channel
Please note, scholarship recipients who will not be on their home campus in the following year their study abroad program can still serve as a GEO Ambassador. Responsibilities of a GEO Ambassador off-campus could include (but will not be limited to):
- Presenting on your experience at various local events.
- Answering questions from peers and/or potential students in person or via e-mail/telephone/IM.
Spring Semester: November 1, 2019
Spring Quarter: January 10, 2020
Summer: March 10, 2020
Fall Semester/Quarter: April 10, 2020
GEO Center Scholarship
The GEO Center Scholarship is a new opportunity available to students who are interested in participating in GEO Center programs during Winter/Spring 2020 Semester or Spring Quarter 2020.
Multiple awards of $3,000 - $5,000 are available.
If you are applying to any of the following programs, you are eligible for the new GEO Center Scholarship:
- Liberal Arts in London – Spring Semester 2020
- Liberal Arts in London with Internship – Spring Semester 2020
- Spanish Language & Culture in Segovia – Spring Semester 2020
- Spanish Immersion in Oviedo – Spring Semester 2020
- Service Learning in Spain and Morocco: Immigration, Nationalism, and Border Politics – Spring Semester 2020
- French Immersion in Angers – Spring Semester 2020
- Psychology in London with Internship – Spring Quarter 2020
- Global Business in London with Internship – Spring Quarter 2020
- Pre-Business in Siena – Spring Quarter 2020
- Italian Language and Culture in Siena – Spring Quarter 2020
- Food and Culture in Siena – Spring Quarter 2020
- Stones and Stories: Trekking Italian Landscapes in Siena – Spring Quarter 2020
- Intermediate Spanish Immersion in Segovia - Spring Quarter 2020
- Applicants must have a minimum 2.50 cumulative GPA
- Applicants must be participating in one of the GEO Center programs listed above during Spring Semester 2020 or Spring Quarter 2020
- Applicants must demonstrate financial need (based on FAFSA). International students can complete the Financial Resources Form, which is available in the online application for this scholarship.
You can apply for the GEO Center Scholarship and the GEO Ambassador Scholarship in one application called GEO Partner Scholarships Application.
GEO Center Scholarship Recipient Expectations:
Same as GEO Ambassador Scholarship.
Spring Semester 2020: November 1, 2019
Spring Quarter 2020: January 10, 2020
Map Your Future Scholarship
This scholarship is available to freshmen and can be used for a study abroad program at any time during your college career. A number of scholarships of $1,000 each will be awarded. These scholarship funds can be used for an eligible study abroad program any term from Summer 2020 to Summer 2023.
- University of Oregon students or students from a GEO partner or affiliate.
- Freshmen or First Year Students
- Note: first-year students with sophomore standing (more than 44 quarter or 29 semester credits) due to AP or IB credits are eligible
- Transfer students with less than 45 transfer credits from a previous college/university are eligible to apply
- Demonstrated financial need
- Please note: Students must also later meet the eligibility requirements of their selected study abroad program, which will be determined prior to their departure.
Note: you do not need to know which program you plan to participate in when you apply for the scholarship, and applying for the scholarship does not mean you are committing to a study abroad program.
GEO partner students may use this scholarship towards any GEO program.
Follow-on Requirement for Recipients:
A follow-on requirement of the Map Your Future Scholarship is that recipients will share their experiences and encourage other students to study abroad. More information is available in the online application.
Please feel free to contact us at GEOglobe@uoregon.edu with any questions you may have.